Holland Planning Board
Meeting Minutes January 14, 2014
Present: Lynn Arnold, Larry Mandell, Dori-Ann Ference
Absent: Don Sanders, Rich Polverari
The meeting of the Holland Planning Board was opened at 7:00 pm.
Dana Manning came to the Board expressing concerns regarding the lack of a formal policy and review standards around the development of the Commercial District. She noted that in several areas of the By-Laws there were specific comprehensive review standards (i.e. Accessory dwellings), and that it would make sense to have the same detailed review procedures in place for land use in the Commercial District, especially considering that there is potentially significantly greater impact to the community given the nature of the allowed usage in this district. After extensive discussion, the following motion was adopted:
- To develop comprehensive By-Laws to address potential wholesale and industrial transportation use in the Commercial District, and other Zoning Districts if applicable, to be presented for a vote at the next Annual Town Meeting.
Larry will review Sturbridge Zoning By-Laws to determine if there is language addressing the trucking facility along Rt. 15 and see if there is existing language that can be utilized.
The Board discussed the ongoing issue of insurance companies requesting property elevation information from the Planning Board (which is information not maintained by the Planning Board or any town department), to determine if flood insurance is required on the property in question. Building Inspector Jack Keough has determined that the Board should advise any homeowner that comes to us for this information that the following is the process that should be followed:
- Go to FEMA web-site and obtain Elevation Certificate (copy include with these minutes)
- Bring it to Engineer to prepare and to certify
- Assuming Engineer determines that property is not located in a Flood Zone:
- Submit to FEMA for approval
- Provide copy FEMA approved copy to Bank, Insurance Co., and Building Inspector
The Board voted that this is what we will advise to homeowner that comes to us in the future regarding this issue.
Mike Viens of 288 Mashapaug Rd. came to the meeting for some brief general process questions.
It was voted that the next meeting be cancelled due an anticipated lack of a quorum. The next scheduled meeting will be February 11, 2014.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:00.
Lawrence Mandell, Secretary
CC: Conservation Committee, Selectmen, Building Inspector, Zoning Board, Board of Health, Town Clerk