Frequently Asked Questions

What are the Building Commissioners office hours?

Monday mornings 10:00 am - 11:30 am
Tuesday nights 7:30 pm - 9:00pm

When do I need a Building Permit?

Under construction.  Thank you.

What documents do I need to apply for a Building Permit?

A Check list is available that describes all the necessary documents that must be submitted with your building permit application. There are two types of building permit applications, Residential and Non-Residential. Residential applications are those involving a one or two family dwelling or related accessory uses. Non-Residential applications are all other projects that are not One or Two Family related. Click here for Required Documents Checklist.

How and when do I request an Inspection?

Inspections are conducted Monday through Friday 8:00am - 4:00pm. When a building permit is issued a list of the required inspections is given with the Permit Signature Card. All requests for inspection must be called in to the Inspection Number:  413-245-7108 ext. 113. If you reach the answering machine leave the following information: 1. Your Name and Telephone Number  2. The type of inspection you are requesting (i.e. foundation, frame, etc.)  3. Location of project to include; House # and Street name. The Building Commissioner must be notified 24 hours prior to the time the inspection is needed. The Inspector will conduct the inspection usually within three (3) working days of when the inspection is needed. All requests for inspections received on Saturday, Sunday, Holidays or after 4:00P Friday will be considered received 8:00AM the following business day.

What are the minimum lot dimensions and setbacks?

Coming Soon...

 How do I tell if my lot is Protected ('Grandfathered')?

In order for the lot to be protected, the lot must meet all the requirements of M. G. L. Chapter 40A Section 6. The property owner must prove Protected Rights. You will need a copy of all of the lot in questions deeds AND ALL abutting lots deeds dating prior to 1975, or prior to the year in which the lot became non-conforming, forward to the present date. It is strongly recommended that you contact legal counsel for advice, as there are many legal issues that need to be addressed. If a lot is proven family dwelling only.